Search This Blog

Raia & David

Raia & David
Livin' Lovin' Our Boho Mojo Country Life

Tuesday 4 July 2017

Earthling Life Lesson From a Childhood Butterfly Memory.


When I was in my early teens, I loved spending my time in nature and observing everything around me. Often I would go into the woods and just sit as still as I could.

Gradually, the birds, squirrels, and chipmunks would return busying themselves looking for food and on guard for any danger.
While sitting against a tree, I noticed a black shiny cocoon. I picked it up and studied it’s features and I decided to take it home with me. I placed it in my jacket pocket and when I got home I put it in a small jar. 

I checked on the cocoon daily. Emerging from the cocoon
One day, I noticed a small opening in the shell and I could see the insect inside peeking out the opening. Over a several hour period, the insect had struggled but had made little progress making its way through the opening.

I thought I should help the butterfly because it was having such a hard time. So I took out my pen-knife and gently made the opening larger, so the butterfly could easily leave the cocoon.
I felt full of pride having helped the butterfly.

The butterfly emerged unsteady on its legs, with a swollen body and small shriveled wings. I continued watching the insect, expecting it would transform miraculously into a butterfly. It did not! It crawled unsteadily around on the ground with its distorted body and small shriveled wings.

I couldn’t understand why it didn’t transform into a butterfly.
My grandfather was visiting that day and came out to see what I was doing. He looked and saw the cocoon and saw the insect crawling around on the workbench.

I asked him what he knew about butterflies, and I told him what I had done to help the butterfly. He looked at me and shook his head. He said that insect would never fly. He was destined to only be able to crawl on the ground.

Grandpa told me that in my kindness to help the butterfly, I had actually failed to understand that the cocoon actually transforms the crawling insect into a butterfly.

The small opening and the struggle to leave the cocoon forces fluid from the swollen body and into the wings so it can take flight upon leaving the cocoon.

Grandpa explained my intentions were good, trying to help a struggling creature, but he also explained:
Sometimes in life, struggle is exactly what is needed in our lives for personal growth.





No comments:

Post a Comment